Platt College: Accredited Occupational Therapy Assistant Program
The Occupational Therapy Assistant Program at Platt College is designed to prepare students to seek entry-level employment in their chosen field.
Earn your Associate Degree as an Occupational Therapy Assistant in as little as 20-months!
Interested in being an integral part of a therapy team that helps clients of all ages live full and vibrant lives by promoting health, and preventing – or living better with – injury, illness, or disability? If so, Platt College Anaheim’s Occupational Therapy Assistant program may be just right for you.
You can earn an Associate’s degree as an occupational Therapy Assistant at Platt College in CA. Headed by professionals in the field, this program at our Anaheim campus will give you the critical skills you need to successfully perform your duties as an assistant to occupational therapists. The course curriculum featured in the Platt College Associate Degree Occupational Therapy program includes classes directly related to the occupational therapy career, as well as simulated clinical labs where you can experience a hands-on approach to learning.
Together with the occupational therapist, you will develop and implement the appropriate treatment plan for your patients. You’ll perform support activities for the occupational therapist. This includes helping patients perform therapeutic exercises, guiding them in the use of special equipment, and filling out the relevant paperwork. Monitoring is also a huge part of your job; you ensure that patients are following the treatment plan while also keeping track of their progress. As an occupational therapy assistant, you play a huge role in the recovery and independence of your patients.
Under the guidance of an Occupational Therapist, Occupational Therapy Assistants typically work with clients with injury, illness and/or disability. Working in such settings as hospitals, clinics, public schools, and private homes, Occupational Therapy Assistants make environmental and task-related adaptations for their clients to enable them to effectively master the activities of daily life.
- Provide students with the theory, knowledge, technical skills, and clinical exposure to successfully pass the National Board for Certification in Occupational Therapy (NBCOT) examination in order to become nationally Certified Occupational Therapy Assistants (COTAs) and eligible to work as entry-level practitioners.
- The Occupational Therapy Assistant Colleges at Platt Anaheim aim to ensure students have the ability to demonstrate comprehension of the necessary theory, knowledge and clinical exposure required of an occupational therapy assistant and apply this knowledge as an entry-level occupational therapy assistant.
- Teach students the necessary technical skills required of an occupational therapy assistant and ensure students are able to demonstrate the technical skills necessary to fulfill the role of an occupational therapy assistant.
- Instill in students professionalism and personal behavior consistent with medical standards and employer expectations. Ensure students are able to demonstrate high-degree of professionalism and positive personal behavior.
Program results from the National Board for Certification in Occupational Therapy Assistant (NBCOT) can be found online at https://www.nbcot.org/en/educators/home#schoolperformance.
The cost of attendance for the Associate of Science, Occupational Therapy program includes direct and indirect costs; current tuition and fees as well as the total cost of attending and completing the program. Platt College reviews tuition fees annually. Any increase in tuition is applied to future enrollments and not applied to currently enrolled students.
According to FASFA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid), the cost of attendance is defined as the total amount of attending the program, which includes tuition and fees, books, supplies, transportation, loan fees as well as fees associated with distance education. Loan fees vary based on the amount the student borrows from the federal student loan programs.
Cost of Attendance is defined at Platt College per academic year of 3 terms, 30 weeks (cost is based upon average expenses comprised from California Student Aid Commission’s student’s expense budget and if the student is living with parents or without parents). For more details click HERE
Upon successful completion of the program of instruction, the graduate will be awarded an Associate of Science in Occupational Therapy Assistant, provided all financial obligations have been met, and a minimum grade point average has been attained. To graduate, a student must attain a minimum cumulative grade point average of 2.0 (C) and meet all attendance requirements. In addition, all students must meet with Career Services and Financial Aid and complete and sign all documentation prior to being approved for graduation.
The Occupational Therapy Assistant program at Platt College in Anaheim, CA creates many potential employment opportunities.
Rehabilitation Centers. With Platt’s Accredited Occupational Therapy Assistant program, you’ll learn to help patients in rehabilitation centers get back to the peak of their health and attain independence. You’ll provide support to the therapists who oversee the recovery of the patients.
Nursing Homes. You’ll carry out activities and exercises in assisted living communities. You’ll help the residents have a healthy, fulfilling, and enriching daily life.
Schools. You’ll help schools that focus on kids with attention, hyperactivity, or other disorders and help them make the most of their education.
Platt College will award a single Occupational Therapy Assistant Associate of Science Degree Merit Scholarship for completing the program at Platt’s Occupational Therapy Assistant School to OTA program applicants who:
- Meet all admissions requirements for the college and the Occupational Therapy Assistant Associate of Science Degree Program
- Achieve a minimum 75% score on the HESI examination or a minimum 700 combined score on the Wonderlic examination
- Enroll in the April 2021 Occupational Therapy Assistant Associate of Science Degree Program at the Anaheim campus
The 20-month program will prepare students to work in collaboration with and under the supervision of an Occupational Therapist to enable clients of all ages to live fuller lives by helping them promote better health and preventing (or living better with) injury, illness or disability. The Occupational Therapy Assistant supports patient assessments, implements intervention plans, and documents care; and may work in a variety of settings including hospitals, skilled nursing facilities, assisted living facilities, public schools, early intervention programs, hospice, home healthcare, and private practice clinics.
Platt College Anaheim’s OTA program graduates will be required to sit for the National Board for Certification in Occupational Therapy (NBCOT) certification examination. All states require licensure in order to practice, with state licensure typically based on the results of the NBCOT certification examination.
To apply for the Occupational Therapy Assistant Associate of Science Degree Merit Scholarship, please contact Andy Gulati, Director of Admissions, at email@example.com or phone (714) 333-9606.
The following additional eligibility and application rules apply once a scholarship is granted:
1) The student must be enrolled at Platt College.
2) Scholarship will be applied against tuition, fees and book charges at Platt College.
3) The student must attend classes to receive the scholarship funds. The scholarship will be applied in equal award disbursements over remaining program terms.
4) Students must maintain continuous enrollment to be eligible for the scholarship. Recipients who withdraw and later re-enter are ineligible for that portion of the scholarship not already awarded.
5) Student must maintain a 2.0 grade point average or higher, while a student at Platt College (each quarter, every 10 weeks). A grade point average of less than 2.0 will result in loss of the scholarship.
6) If scholarship eligibility is lost, it cannot be reinstated for any future disbursements.
7) Tuition scholarships are non-transferrable and are not redeemable for cash.
8) Scholarships are awarded on an annual basis and by various academic years.
9.) Scholarship cannot be combined with any other institutional scholarships or benefit; one scholarship/benefit per student, per program.
Platt College Anaheim’s Occupational Therapy Assistant Program offers you:
- The Ability to Earn an Associate Degree in Occupational Therapy Assistant in as little as 20-months
- Instructors with Real-World Occupational Therapy Experience
- Dedicated Occupational Therapy Lab and Equipment
- Simulated Shopping Market
- Home Health Apartment
- Hand Clinic with Work Simulator
- Sensory Clinic
- Free American Occupational Therapy Association (AOTA) Membership
- Free National Board for Certification in Occupational Therapy (NBCOT) Exam Preparation
- Paid NBCOT Exam Fee
- Paid Occupational Therapy Assistant License Fee
- Hands-on Clinical Externship
- Full-time, On-site Career Placement Services
- Financial Aid Available for Qualified Students
What you’ll learn:
- Assistive Technology
- Manual Therapy
- Sensory Integration
- Video Modeling
- Work Hardening
- Technology-assisted Stroke Rehabilitation
- Custom Splinting
- Interactive Metronome® Training
- Kinesiology Taping
- Adaptive Gardening
- Additional (Free) Certification Training
- Autism Certificate
- Certified Ergonomics Assessment Specialist
Except as expressly provided in California Education Code Section 94898, Platt College reserves the right to modify policies, course schedules, curricula or courses within reason due to exigent circumstances, program upgrades and/or content changes, and to cancel programs of study, modes of delivery, upcoming start dates or individual courses as it deems necessary. If a course or program is canceled, the school may schedule course completion at a later date or refund all monies paid for the canceled course or program if the student does not wish to continue with the program at the later date. All Platt College programs are not available at all locations, please see an Admissions Representative for more information on specific enrollment information.